Shortcut to navigation Hlavné menu Shortcut to navigation horizontal
Hlohovec EN

Monuments

THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL THE ARCHANGEL
THE CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
THE CHAPEL OF ST ANNE
THE CHURCH OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
THE CHAPEL OF OUR LADY OF THE SEVEN SORROWS
EMPIRE THEATER

 

THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL THE ARCHANGEL

THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL THE ARCHANGELTHE PARISH CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL THE ARCHANGEL

 

 

 

 

 

 

     The church was built in the center of the regular square of so-called colonial type. The structure has a single nave with a tower and a polygonal closure to the presbytery. The parish church was mentioned for the first time in 1242. The building core and the nave with presbytery originate from the early 15th century. The building was architecturally inspired by t's dome in Bratislava. Of interest is the west portal entrance with plastic latticed lining and coat of arms with's head. The presbytery is backlit by slim gothic stained glass windows from the 19th century. From the original construction of the church there is a richly decorated pastophorium - a tabernacle with a stone sedilia. The church has a neogothic main altar from the early 20th century made by the local carver Joseph Seilnacht. The upper part of the tower was built in 1610 - the developer was the estate owner Stanislav Thurzo.

 

THE CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

THE CHURCH OF ALL SAINTSTHE CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

THE CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The church, originally a gothic chapel on the outskirts of the city and mentioned as early as 1400, became a part of the newly built monastery of Franciscan order in 1492. Construction began in 1465 un's owner Nicholas Ujlaky and the monastic complex was finished under the supervision of his son Lawrence.

     In 1598, the monastery and the church burned down. The church gained its current shape after its postbaroque reconstruction from 1637 to 1648. It has a single nave with polygonal closure to the presbytery and a two-story oratory. The tower, built on the north face of the presbytery, has a gothic core with distinctive architectural features.

     The tower was arched by a barrel vault with lunettes during the remodeling of building in the 17th century. In 1700 the chapel of St Cross and a crypt were added to the south side of the nave by the Forgáč family. In the adjacent crypt are buried several family members of the Erdödy dynasty dating back as fara s 1780, they were transferred there by Joseph Erdödy from the abolished monastery of St Catherine in Dechtice. The church underwent its last rebuilding in 1886, when it was extended westward.

     In the niches on both sides are statues of St Peter and St Paul. On the epistle side of the sanctuary is located the oldest gravestone of the city, it belongs to countess Elizabeth Thurzo of Salm and dates to 1574. The interior of the church features valuable baroque altars from the 18th century, several of them restored in the 19th century by Konrad Švestka and Imrich Buzzásy.

 

THE CHAPEL OF ST ANNE

THE CHAPEL OF ST ANNEOriginally, the chapel was a gothic ossuary and later meant to serve as a burial vault to store the deceased members of the Erdödy dynasty. The chapel underwent extensive baroque restoration in 1748. The chapel was never used as the crypt for the noble family because in 1776 the practice of burying on the square on church grounds ended and burials were moved to the hill of where todays calvary stands. The origin of the chapel is disclosed in an oil painting depicting the square in 1735, where we can see the chapel standing on the square next to the church. During the occupation of the Turks in 1663 - 1683, the chapel allegedly served as a Muslim mosque with a minaret attached to it.

 

THE CHURCH OF THE HOLY SPIRIT

THE CHURCH OF THE HOLY SPIRITThe church, one of the oldest religious buildings in the city, dates from the mid-14th century. It was built on the ruins of metallurgical workshop destroyed by Tatars in 1241. The property was donated by palatine Nicholas Kont, the owner of Hlohovec estate, who with his wife Klára ordered the construction of a simple rectangular gothic church building at the entrance to Old Hlohovec, near the bridge over the river Váh. In a short time they added a functional building of a medieval ,domu', which gave hospitality to poor. From the gothic complex, a single nave floor plan reinforced with abutments to the east and the west portal entrance were preserved. The nave was vaulted and lifted in the 17th century and the church interior got a new baroque decoration. The building was completely renovated in 2000 and a new parish and pastoral center were located within the structure.

 

THE CHAPEL OF OUR LADY OF THE SEVEN SORROWS

THE CHAPEL OF OUR LADY OF THE SEVEN SORROWSA small sacral object with a rectangular nave and a semicircularapse were built's hill top, which now forms part of the town cemetery. Archaeological research in the surroundings prove its medieval origins. The chapel underwent major reconstructions in 1730 and 1802. At first, the building stood alone on the hill. In 1730 the chapel was almost completely rebuilt using funds from Hlohovec burgher James Blezela. From 1740 -1742 an impressive baroque calvary with the crucifixion and stations of the cross were built around th's the oldest preserved baroque calvary in Slovakia.

The chapel became the Erdödy family mausoleum in the 2nd half of the 18th century. In 1802's extension and enhancement was funded by chancellor Joseph Erdödy. In the early 20th century an oversized crypt was built on the west side of the chapel with huge sarcophagi. In 1945 the chapel suffered severe bomb damage during an air raid. After the war its roof was completely refurbished.

 

EMPIRE THEATER

EMPIRE THEATEREMPIRE THEATER

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

EMPIRE THEATER

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Text: Mgr. Jozef Urminský

 

 

 


 

webygroup

date: 2019-09-17

Name day of: Olympia

Detailed calendar


Slovenská verzia

34591194

Homepage